AFRICAN CHILDREN’S RECIPE
• 250 ml (1 cup) water
• 625 ml (2 1/2 cups) white sugar
• 12.5 ml (2 1/2 tsp.) lemon juice
• 5 ml (1 tsp.) vanilla essence
• 375 ml (1 1/2 cups) cake flour
• 22 ml (4 1/2 tsp.) baking powder
• 1 ml (pinch) salt
• 20 g butter
• 150 ml (1/2 Cup + 1 Tablespoon) milk
• 750 ml (3 cups) canola oil
- Add water and sugar in a pot and bring to boil on a low heat. Stir frequently until sugar is completely dissolved. Boil for 7 minutes. Remove pot from the stove and stir in lemon juice and vanilla essence. Put pot aside.
- Mix the flour, salt, and baking powder thoroughly in a mixing bowl. Break the butter into small pieces and add to the flour mixture. Add milk. Mix well until dough is formed.
- Roll dough out to a thickness of 5 mm (1/4 in.). Cut rolled dough into thin ( 10 mm or 1/2 in.) strips. Take 3 strips and join their ends on one side. Braid the strips to your desired koeksister length and join the other ends.
- Heat oil in a pot until fairly hot. Put approximately 3 koeksisters at a time in the oil and fry on both sides until they are golden-brown in color. As you remove the koeksisters from the oil, place them directly into the syrup. Allow the koeksisters to absorb the syrup thoroughly. Remove koeksisters from the syrup and allow excess syrup to drip off. Place them in the refrigerator. Your family will love them too!
An Easy African Drum